Saturday, September 25, 2010

Race for the Cure 2010

As most of you know, I work for Cancer Treatment Centers of America, but that isnt the only reason I have a desire to help fight cancer. My mother-in-law, Gail, is a breast cancer survivor. :) Cancer is something that affects everyone. So, the Race for the Cure is one way that I can show my support and fight against cancer. What better race could you come back to for your first race after training? I worked at the Race for the Cure the last 2 years. The 1st year, I walked the 1 mile walk. The energy and emotion involved in this race was so touching, I made the decision then that I would run it the next year. And I did. That was the second year, and I was about 2 1/2 months pregnant. I was just excited I could still run it and was able to finish it, but my time wasnt what I wanted it to be, so this year, I was more determined than ever! While I ran last year, I was working toward running 10 min miles, but hadnt been able to do it in a race. That was my goal for this race. To finish in 32 min or less. The hardest part, was that even though I was pregnant last year, I had at least been running for 9 months, this year...about 3 months. The training was harder this year after having the baby and trying to fit it in my schedule felt nearly impossible. I dont really get the stress relief from running that most ppl seem to run for. I am running for the challenge, to prove to myself that I can do it. I can do something that I have never been able to do or have a desire to do.

Kristen has been running since early early this year and was willing to run this race with me to help pace me to the finish! She did just that, and we finished in 30:54!!

I had several friends running the race, so Congrats to them all for finishing!

The final stretch!!

The finish line!
 Of course you have to know that I had Liam dressed as cute as possible for the cause. He wore a shirt that said "My Grammy kicked cancers ass" and the back said "Grammy 1, Cancer 0." He had his hair spiked and wore a bandana with skull and cross bones on it. He was soooo stinking cute!

As soon as the race was over, J brought Liam to me. The best finishing prize ever!

Love :)

He always smiles really big and grabs my face to pull it towards his. He melts my heart!
 A fine example of why we should all do what we can do for the cure. Not just breast cancer, but all cancers. Keep fighting, it will happen one day!

Me, Gail (aka Grammy) holding Liam and Kristen

Grammy and her grandson!
 Along with dressing Liam as cute as a button, the girls had to be flashy too. :) We opted for some awesome pink sparkly tanks instead of the race shirts. We kept getting so many compliments during the race. All the cheerleaders that outlined the race trail told us how much they loved our shirts. Kristen made us some pink ribbons with purple flowers to wear in our hair. You can still be cute, girly and stylin while you run! haha

Me and Kristen after the race

Kristen, Jennifer and Me

My sweet blue eyes.
All the training was a success. Now I will search for a new training method to keep me going. Thanks to everyone for all the support. Whether it was a few words of encouragement, babysitting or running with me, I appreciate it more than you know and would not have been able to do it without all of you! Keep following my training on http://www.dailymile.com/ and of course I'll post any blogworthy runes here!

1 comment: