Sunday, September 20, 2009

Race for the Cure 2009



Yesterday was Tulsa's 2009 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Since I work for Cancer Treatment Centers of America, we usually work there for a while. My dept works in the survivor's tent. This is where the survivors get free breakfast and all sorts of goodies. We hand out lymphedema education to create more awareness. Last year was my first year to be there and it is so touching to experience the atmosphere there. I walked the 1 mile walk last year and decided then that I wanted to run it the next year (2009). I have been trying to continue running and staying in shape even though I am exhausted and nauseated most of the time. I wanted to make sure I could run this race. I had a goal to run it in 30 min. My last 5K timed was a 33 min run. so I wanted to beat that time. This week leading up to the race has been filled with RAIN!!! so we weren't able to run outside much. Thursday, Ashley and I decided to try to get in a 3 mile run before the weekend. At about 2 miles, I started cramping in my lower left side. It scared me and we stopped running. This set up my frame of mind for the race. I still wanted to run it in 30 min, but not if it meant causing cramps in my stomach! So, I finished somewhere between 33 and 34 min. I was a little disappointed, but I did it without stopping and without cramps. I felt good during the run, which is where I get hard on myself. I feel like I could have pushed harder and ran faster, but that's the competitor in me and I have to remember that it's not just "me" anymore. Very hard concept for my brain to wrap around sometimes. Overall, I am soo proud of myself and all of my friends who ran in the race. There were so many! I'll list a few....
*Ashley ran with me the WHOLE time (bless her cause she could have kicked my butt if she wanted)
*Kristen
*Scott
*Adam
*Tricia
*Melanie
*Matt
*Marco
*Amber Lynn
and so many others. There were several people from work who ran and I'm sure I am leaving a few names out. Not intentionally, but there are thousands of people there! I only have a few pics of the small group I stayed close to...so here they are!





Jonathan doesn't run, so he stood toward the finish line and took pictures for us. He watched Anisten (Kristen and Scotts precious baby girl) while they ran. Scott finished a short time earlier than K since she has been sick and congested this week, so he ran the finish with her in support while I held Anisten and cheered for mama!!!!!! It was so fun.

Anisten was showing her support in PINK! Her shirt says "Forget the Whales, Save the Boobies! It was cooler than expected so she sported some pink leg warmers and hot pink chucks! Way too cute!










1 comment: