Saturday, March 9, 2013

All about Liam



Well, if the picture above doesn't clue you in...let me. Potty Training. The best and worst part of a child's life. Growing up to be a "Big Boy", but losing the freedom of 'go anywhere, anytime' that the diaper provides. And its not just about the kid here! haha

Liam started full on potty training the week before Christmas. He understood the Pee Pee portion of this fairly quickly and other than nigh time/nap time, accidents were few and far between. #2 on the other hand has been a challenge. We feel like we are on the home stretch, but just when I feel confident enough to actually say "Potty Trained" then he has accidents. Now, I know that we will have accidents for a while. As he plays and gets lost in his imagination, he will forget to tell me its time to go potty, but these are instances where I ask, he says no, then BOOM. Accident. I haven't figured out how to handle this. CLEARLY my son understands when its time to go. He tells me all the time that he needs to go potty or go poo poo, but why does he choose not to tell me or go when asked? Do I reprimand him for this? Its not really the learning phase anymore...he knows. He has gone more than a week without any accidents. But you hear, 'dont punish them for potty accidents, it discourages them', but does it? I mean, how do you teach right from wrong? Going potty in your pants when you clearly know the difference is 'wrong', Right? ugh.
We started using bribery, but in a different form. I'm not sure it helped but it was a way to punish, without punishing. Clear as mud? Great. LOL We found a puzzle that Liam really liked. We sat it on the bar where he could reach but could not get it down on his own. It was visible to him but he couldn't have it until...duh duh duh....he poo poo'd in the potty. When he did, we rewarded him with the puzzle! He played and loved it until....duh duh duh...he poo poo'd in his pants. Then we took the puzzle away. We did this off and on for a few weeks and ultimately, he still had accidents but he started telling us when it was time to go. So maybe it worked...? But what about now? Now that I KNOW he knows...what do I do?  He will figure it out eventually, but in the meantime, I don't know how to act when it happens. React, don't react...This is the part of parenting that I dislike. I can teach my son everything under the son. I can be the best parent I can be, but how do you know when your doing it wrong? Is there a wrong? I'm always thinking about how my actions now will affect his future. I'm pretty sure I over think just about every aspect of parenting, and it is exhausting, but thus far it has paid off. :)
I'm not just bragging because Liam is my child, but seriously, this kid is a genius! He is talented, hilarious and smart. I do give credit where its due, and his teachers at daycare definitely deserve some of that. They are GREAT with him. He sucks you in with his big baby blues and that sweet cuddly personality...and he is an attacher. He gets attached to people and their personalities as well. I love him to pieces!!! So, with all that being said, I sure never want to screw it up because of my parenting skills. This is why I worry about everything. This is one thing that every parent tells you but you underestimate the meaning of it until you have a child of your own. You will worry about EVERYTHING!

Anyways, all else is going well! Liam will be 3 next month! He is excelling in school (daycare). He is a lover of sports, all sports. Looks like he will be a right handed little boy, but chooses to do some things left handed (which makes his mommy proud!). Liam LOVES singing and listening to music, as well as playing drums to music. He is such a little boy when it comes to cars, trucks and dinosaurs! haha Wrestling happens at least once a day and he is now convinced that he is a Ninja Turtle. :) (which makes his daddy proud) His favorite drink is "Water and Ice". Favorite number of the week is 12 and his favorite color is Pink. LOL. His favorite pass time is picking his nose and chewing his fingernails...we have some work to do there. He loves putting together puzzles and watching "movies" (cartoons) with us. Overall, he the most beautiful thing on the planet as far as I'm concerned!








No comments:

Post a Comment