Saturday, May 7, 2011

A bitter-sweet year has come and gone...

Its officially been a year since the sweetest blessing came into our lives. Born at 4:12 p.m. on April 27th, 2010...ate like a champ, rolled over early, crawled early, walked early, stayed true to his size (big boy haha) but has the sweetest little personality. Ups and downs like I have never experienced and constant worry or concern, but with it I learned the meaning of patience an persistence. Liam has brought the greatest joy to my life. I truly cant stand to go a day without seeing him. I tell Jonathan every time we have a date night how much I miss the lil guy...even if he is just sleeping, I prefer to be in his presence or under the same roof. I have tried to spend this year living day by day and truly enjoying every moment. There arent any significant moments in Liams development that I missed. I can replay most of the last 12 months in my head and name something that happened each month. For this, I am so thankful. I dont feel so sad about him turning 1 because I can say that I lived it with him versus it "flying by." Dont get me wrong, it went by so quickly, but it isnt like the "blink and its gone" moment. When he was born, I told myself and Jonathan that we wouldnt be the typical 21st century parent who lets the TV babysit their child while they sit by and let the time pass without noticing what they were missing. We would be hands on and teach Liam what he needs to know, work with him and discipline him. And we have. We did not attach ourselves to him too closely, so he knew Independence. He knows that we are his security, but he does not have to have us in the room to feel safe. He understands me when I tell him NoNo and most of the time, follows that command along with several others. He has never been a "cryer" in relation to car seats, shopping carts, restaurants, bed time, daycare...He may fuss once in a while, or even cry on occasion, but usually he is an easy going, playful baby. The saddest part about him being ONE is that he gets more independent as he gets older. I literally get to have my hands around him less and less. He isnt my sweet cuddler anymore, now he is my busy little boy. Thats so heart breaking for me. I still want to hold him and feel his head perfectly placed between my shoulder and neck while he sleeps or hold him in my arms while I rock him to sleep or when he drinks a bottle. I have to remind myself that those moments are replaced with interactive moments. Kisses, giggles, dog piles and sharing a blanket while we watch a cartoon. My purpose isnt just to feed him, change him and make sure he gets enough sleep...my role is transitioning. I still do those things, but it isnt at the crucial point that it starts out as, now my purpose is to make him happy. I live to make him smile or laugh. If that means fake sneezing for 10 minutes because he finds it funny or chasing him around the couch or island to play peek-a-boo, then thats what I do. I have to teach him right from wrong, safe from dangerous, but still allow him to explore and learn the difference. Im a firm believer in living the experience (within a safe boundary, of course). This is the hard part of parenting. Losing sleep and learning how to do everything with one hand instead of two is the easy part. Our bodies are made for the physical demand that parenting puts us through. The mental challenge is where we make or break our children and their future. Are we strong enough to LET them grow into successful, productive contributors to society? Or will we let the pressures get to us and create a dependent person who needs constant direction and instruction? My dream for Liam is that he will be an independent soul who has a successful career (no matter what it may be), but is open to direction and instruction. He has taught me more about myself than I ever expected to learn after having a child. Embarrassment is a non-issue now LOL! Life doesnt have to be in control all of the time. Planning and organizing is preference, not a must...and remembering something takes effort. I have found that I once thought I was perfectly happy and content with my life as it was, now I desire for more and want to make a bigger dent in the world. Jonathan too. Making money is great and allows us to do a lot of things, but time away from family and happiness where we are mean more now. We have made changes to adapt to our priorities rearranging. Luckily for us we are able to have great jobs, with good hours and not suffer financially for it. All in all, we do not have anything to complain about these days.
There is only one thing that has been missing this whole year........

.........

....
...
..

Teeth! hahaha Liam still doesnt have any teeth. :) It has become the joke amongst all of our close friends. He has been "teething" for six months and will always be my lil 'gummy'!! He hit all of his miles markers early in life and the one thing I used to pray for, was to keep his lil gummy smile as long as possible because it kept him a BABY in my eyes. You just never know how you will be blessed and this was one way of fulfilling our lives. :)

Below is a recap of the last 12 months of our lives. Enjoy!

coming home from the hospital

1 month and loving bath time

2 months, all smiles

3 months, tummy time and rolling

4 months, staring to sit up

5 months, MOBILITY starts

6 months, getting braver in the tub

7 months, 1st Christmas!!

8 months, standing and creeping

9 months, 1st plane ride

10 months, Walking

11 months, surgery

12 months, CAKE!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Melissa, you and Jonathon seem to be really happy! I'm happy that you're happy! Yes, raising a child is an experience not soon forgotten. Although I don't have a kid myself, I am still able to relate to you through raising Eric. I am also glad that you found out you are still learning, right there along side Liam. From what I can tell, you are doing a great job with him; especially the part about the whole 21st century parenting techniques. Too many kids these days are letting technology run there lives. Have you seen the movie "Grown Ups"? It touches a lot on this very subject.

    Anyway, I'm glad I was able to be a part of one of Liam's milestones - crawling at g-ma's!! :)

    Keep up the excellent job!!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete