"my sport is your sports punishment"
Its only been a few years since I started running. Something I hated and would never let anyone convince me to do regardless of the benefits. One of my new years resolutions was to continue my running/training for a whole year without stopping...this December will make that 1 year mark! I was thinking back the other night about all the things I thought or said I would never do. It was almost the barrier between me being an all around general athlete vs me being a "runner". Im not sure why I was opposed to being a "runner" but now I carry the name proudly. :) I have played softball my whole life and now I cant seem to make myself commit to a team because I dont want to give up time away from Liam and Jonathan.
So, here they are... (its ok to laugh, lol, I do)
* I will never run more than a 5K (3 miles)
* I will never be a morning runner (running before work hours)
* Running isnt for me
* I cant run in the cold (below 40 degrees)
* Who has the time to spend running for hours at a time?
* I just cant do it, I'm not made for it.
* People who run before a run are crazy
So far I have been proven wrong by the power of running and the camaraderie that has come along with it. I have grown so much closer to several of my friends because of running. I have made new friends that are sure to be around for the long haul. I am now
* training for a 15K
* run before the sun comes up
* want to quit running but cant (just because of fatigue some days)
* Ran the whole winter last year as long as the weather was above 10 degrees
* I find time to run without taking away from my family
* I find an inner peace and strength that I am not sure I knew existed in order to finish a run, and
* I am registering this week for "The Double" which is a 5K + a Quarter Marathon = 9.66 miles
I have a lot of friends who run and I have never been inspired to join them or push myself beyond personal limits until my sister started running. She amazed me with her ability to push and exceed expectations. Now she is training for her first FULL marathon!! Her choosing to make her first 26.2 at the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa has convinced me and my running girls (Andrea and Jasmyn) decide to run the first half of that Marathon with her!! :) OK ok ok ok Scott, Kristen, Myka and Jeremiah....sit down and put duck tape on your mouth...i dont wanna hear it. I will say it for you. "I told you so!" hahaha We wont actually run the who first half with her. I will be with her in spirit because she will probably be running for time and we are not. In order for all of us to agree together to run the Route 66 half, we had to make an agreement to not set a time goal. We simply want to finish the 13.1 miles, preferably without walking. BUT Shon and I will be sharing 2 amazing firsts together. Also, I am excited to run this simply because of the amount of support I will have. I know so many people who will be running either the half or the full and I cant wait to feel the excitement and accomplishments!
P.S. I have to make one thing clear. I still have not experienced a "runners high" or a "second wind" and I sure wish that running would prove me wrong on these two points. I have said that neither of them exist for so long and it would probably make running a little more desirable if I would ever experience either of them! lol
Here are a few running quotes that help with motivation!
The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong.
You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."
- Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ
"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners.
Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."
-George Sheehan
"Run the first mile with your legs, the second mile with your mind, and the third mile with your heart."
" You can't finish if you don't start."


No comments:
Post a Comment