I love May for various reasons, but the number 1 reason being....its my birthday! :) I turned a whopping 27 this year. I know its not old, nor do I feel old. The thing about 27 is that is so close to 30. I dont even mind that really. LOL Its just funny to me because at the ripe ol' age of 27, I realized what it was about 30 that everyone dislikes. I have always associated/teased 30 year olds with the word "old." I dont literally mean that they are OLD by any means, but older than me = old! hahaha. In reality, I decided that when I turn 30, I wont be "in my 20's" anymore. Think about this for a second. What do you think of when you think of someone in their 20's?
*College
*Party
*New Jobs
*Energetic
*Babies
*Newlyweds
....In general, these are the typical things that happen to people in their '20's'. It doesnt mean it happens to everyone, but on average I would say this sums it up. All of these descriptors sound YOUNG.
Now, What do you think of someone in their 30's?
*Settled
*Families
*Calm
*Bills
*Routines
.....This description really isnt that much different than the 20's, its just different versions of the same word...but a more mature version. When you get married and have a baby or babies in your 20's, you also have a family. College and New Jobs arent that different from having routines and being settled. Typically you are there for 4+ years right? People in their 30's still party and have a good time, they just do it smarter, thus giving the term calm vs energetic.
So, my realization was: People in their 30's are ADULTS! People in their 20's are still looked at and referred to as YOUNG and CHILDISH (not in a bad way). Trust me, I fight this perception on a daily basis at work. I am not sad or scared of getting older and closer to 30. I think, at least then, people will take what I say seriously because for some reason, 3 years from now I will have SSOOOOO much more life experience. LOL I'd say, I have more life experience then a lot of 30 year olds or even people in the 40's and 50's. Its not about the age, it is what you do with it. Though, I do have to admit, that at some point, you do pick an age and draw a line. Its the dividing line between youth and adulthood. This is it for me...its what I have always thought, but sitting at my pool the other day made me realize that what I used to think of 30 (old) is right around the corner and I dont feel or act the way I 'expect' 30 year olds to act. LOL Neither do any of my family or friends that are in their 30's. The example I was thinking of was this: A woman standing across the pool with 2 kids. A 4 to 5 year old and a toddler (maybe 2 yr old). She was fairly fit, but could tell she worked out, but also had physical signs of being a mom...I would have considered her "older and more mature" from her physical attributes and the fact that she had children at the pool with her and her husband. She screamed 30's, BUT she was wearing an Ed Hardy brand Bikini had an in-styile hair cut with nice sun glasses. Those few things wouldnt normally fit my description of an 'Adult' or someone 'older.' Thats when I said to myself, "I will totally still wear Name Brand clothing AND Bikinis when I'm 30!" Something that is just around the corner for me. Thats NOT old! haha I dont feel the age that I perceive my age to be. (did that make sense?) Anyways, maybe this will be an eye opener for some people. :) Live your life according to how you feel, not how others expect you to live.
Back to MAY and the magnificence of it! :) May is also Mother's Day. Even though last year was my first Mother's Day, this year felt more like the real deal. I think I was still in shock last year. Just trying to figure out what a Mom feels like. haha I got a really nice dinner at Flemmings Steakhouse here in Tulsa and a good night's rest. :) Liam is a little on the terror side of life to take out to restaurants, so I celebrated with J and let him spend the night at his Grammy's house.
For my birthday, we went to Six Flags in Arlington, TX with some friends who also have a May birthday. We had a GREAT time. We used the flash pass and I will NEVER go back without one! We had another really nice dinner that night while Liam stayed at his Nana's house.
On the day of my birthday, I got Starbucks coffee and breakfast from Jonathan, along with some beautiful flowers. My office got me donuts and a cake that were delicious! Then, while I was getting my hair colored (to rid the gray!) Jonathan gave me my NOOK color!! :) Kristen was coloring my hair for free for my birthday and Krista got me a $15 Barnes and Noble gift card for my Nook!! All that AND sushi for dinner! I definitely got spoiled.
Next is Memorial Day Weekend. My birthday always falls around this holiday, which means I always get a 3 day weekend for my birthday! haha This is the official weekend that starts summer for me and I LOVE IT! It also marks the 1st day of our pool opening in the neighborhood, so I spent some quality time with my Nook and the sun. :) Liam enjoyed the baby pool and splash pad as well. Talk about a fish....we could be in trouble! He just runs in the pool and never skips a beat!! I loved watching him play, but he scares me cause he cant get his balance back very quickly in the pool and tends to need you to pull him up so his face doesnt stay under water...whew...heart attack!
Anyways. I dont really have any pictures right now, but I will post them when I get the chance.
Chow!
Melissa, you are so beautiful and full of life... you make me want to take better advantage of my life as well. You are an inspiration to me as I read your FB comments on general life events and RUNNING! Jonathan is a really lucky person to have someone who really enjoys life and cares about themselves (and your baby) the way you do. You're a great mom and a burst of energy! Don't lose it!
ReplyDelete-Lisa Cobb
I know its late, but thank you Lisa!!!! I truly do try to LIVE but some how manage to be responsible about it! lol. Miss you guys!
ReplyDelete