1) Birthing a baby - if you havent done it, I dont suggest it! C-section ladies, I promise that recovery is easier than mine!
2) Guilt - I have never felt more guilty in my life for EVERYTHING I do or dont do in relation to Liam. Including but not limited to; nursing, sleeping, working, crying...you name it and I have, at some point over the last 7 months, felt guilty about it.
3) Sleep - Yes, I am and was fully aware of the loss of sleep coming my way when having a little one, and tho it is worth it, why do that to myself again once I get past it? The people who have more kids are still sleep deprived, delirious and arent making clear decisions! lol
4) Ear infections - it is inevitable, all babies will at some point get one or more than one...God bless your souls
5) Tummy Virus - need I say more? the most helpless feeling in the world (that i have experienced to date) is holding your 6 month old as he vomits over and over and over and over and over...you get the point...Again, why would I do that to myself again?
6) Teething! - Are you F*ing kidding me? how long must we ALL suffer through this? I mean...its going to ruin my precious baby's gummy smile that I love so much and its torturing all of us by causing Liam pain, screaming/crying and Loss of sleep...probably just for the stupid little stinking teeth to pop up and then go back down...creating mass chaos when they decide to erupt AGAIN in the near future. SERIOUSLY people, why would I do that to myself again?
Selfish you say? Yes, I think sometimes the smartest ppl in the world are the ones who recognize their selfishness and choose to not make the rest of the world suffer bc of their stupid decisions. When you want to travel and see the world, or spend all your cash on yourself, pedicures and clothes...why have a baby to throw in the mix? Then your going to end up fighting for your own wants against your CHILD who relies on you for everything they need.
When I PLANNED to have Liam, I knew what I was giving up and I was and am still completely happy about that decision. I am ok with staying home bc I dont have a sitter. After all, he is my child, I did choose to have him, so I am responsible for him, not someone else. I am ok with giving up a few added monetary perks in life for him. It doesnt pain me at all to spend $20 on diapers or $20 for a can of formula...I have never said "I dont have the money to buy diapers!" It is a necessity in our lives, therefore, I will ALWAYS have the money for it. I gave up a year of traveling so I could have him and be here with him because thats what I want. Wen he is big enough or the trip is appropriate, he will come with us.
So all of this ranting and raving comes down to this. I just might, thats right, clear your eyes...I just might have an only child! There isnt anything wrong with it and it isnt wrong for Liam. "only children are spoiled"...."only children are brats"....thats what the world says, but in reality there are studies out there that show children who have no siblings are very smart, intelligent and end up having more successful careers in life. Why? bc their parents had TIME for them and gave them one on one time/attention. I fully intend on providing Liam with everything he needs in Life and most of what he wants. Thats not spoiling a child, if you make them understand why they did or did not get whatever materialistic item they wanted. If I have 10 children, I would still have those same intentions, so by not having more than one, the only thing that changes is my personal availability to be there for Liam.
I am not some Bitch of a mom that thinks that ppl who have a dozen kids are bad ppl or crazy for that matter. As a matter of fact, I think just the opposite. I think they are super moms and they have something within them that I am not sure I have. Patience and Selflessness. They are amazing women with strength that I envy. As an end to my gripe, I am not sure if I will have another baby. I am happy and content with giving all my love and attention to Liam. Its all I feel I CAN do right now. If 5 years down the road, I change my mind. Great! I can and will do that then. I am not saying I will never have another...so to my parents - Liams grands....dont call me about this. This is not a topic up for discussion. We will NOT be having another baby in the next 2 years, guaranteed. I have NEVER wanted my children to be very close in age...so after I get over the growing pains of Teething and tummy virus and diaper rash, we will see where I stand then. Until then...STOP ASKING!!!!! ugh!
Now on to the fun stuff! haha
Liam just turned 7 months old on Saturday!! wow! Time has flown. We were successful in our first Halloween, had an amazing first Thanksgiving and we are now working on Christmas! :) I am so excited this year, I cant hardly stand it. I know he wont get it or understand what all the hooplah is about, but I am determined to start all of our yearly traditions this year. Whether he understands or not, we will honestly be able to say that we have been doing all of these things since the year he was born. :) Not to mention that its our first year for all of this in our new house, so its like a year of new beginnings for us. With new beginnings, not all things are bound to be enjoyable...such as the darn tummy bug that attacked us!
Liam started throwing up on a Tuesday night. He continued to throw up (at least once day) for 11 days. After the first 3 days of not eating and throwing up everything we attempted, we took him to the Dr. All they said was "its a tummy bug, it will pass" but to get anything we could down him. Thus comes his first chicken noodle soup experience. haha. He loves it! We think we (by we, I mean J, me and my mother in law all ended up with it!) are over the bug now, but not without its emotional scars. :( Liam still doesnt act the same. He doesnt eat as well and he cries so much more now than he ever did. I can barely sit him down for a second, or change his diaper or walk out of the room without him screaming. He did get a little spoiled from being held and rocked so much while he was sick and we are fighting a little of that, I think. Now he is teething. He has been teething on and off again for a while but NEVER like this. He just sits there and screams. :( He will wake up at 2 in the morning and just cry and cry and cry. I feel terrible for him but there isnt anything I can do besides give him teethers, teething tablets, Tylenol and orejel...I load him up all at one time and it doesnt seem to make that big of a difference. I thought I hated growth spurts...ugh, teething is by far about 10 x's worse than that!
Now, dont think that being sick and teething has held little man down. He started crawling this last week! He crawled about 3 steps on Tuesday, then maybe 1 or 2 steps on Wednesday. On Thursday while we were at my grandmothers house for Thanksgiving with a lot of my family around, he crawled across the room!!! Of course this happens AFTER my camera died! haha. We got a little video on our phones but its too big and wont email, so I havent switched out the memory card to get it on the computer yet...but super mommy Jill was able to get it on her camera!! (still very thankful!)
We also hit another milestone in the same day. He can now get to sitting all on his own. After he crawled across the floor later, he just propped himself up on his little bottom and sat there. Now he is a pro. He doesnt crawl a lot yet. He will take a few steps to get here or there, but he isnt exploring the house yet. No baby gates are needed just yet. haha I really thought that the train we have going around the bottom of our Christmas tree would peak his interest and get him moving, but he would rather just sit there and watch it.
I have a video of how he was getting to all of his toys or passy in this case, just last week. Its cute. :)
Here is a picture of our Christmas tree in the living room and one of Liam's very own Christmas tree in his room. (which he LOVES)
![]() |
| Our family tree with the train going! :) |
![]() |
| Liams tree |
OK well, we have put lights on the house, but its not finished so I will post a picture later. We are also taking our first little weekend away from Liam this coming weekend for our annual trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I was a little nervous about being gone for so long and I definitely already miss him, but after the chaos of the last 2 weeks, I am ready for a little rest. I feel guilty as a mom saying that, but at some point, we all need a little rest. The week after that is my work Christmas party, the week after that is another Christmas party with some friends, then its Christmas!! We cant wait for Christmas eve in PJ's, baking cookies for santa and making "reindeer chow" for all the reindeer. We want to read The Night Before Christmas and then wake up to santas really awesome present for Liam. :) Hopefully Liams First Christmas will be a white one!


A few things...
ReplyDeleteI think if you decide to have one kid or 40 kids, it's your business. The end. It is your life and you can choose to fill it with as many kids as you want! I agree with you, that some people just adjust to the whole Mommy-Daddy thing so much easier than others! There are some people that just have perfect pregnancy,perfect births,perfect sleeping babies etc.... and then they want to decide how many kids WE have!
I think that you're doing a wonderful job with little Liam. Every child is different with different needs. You were designed to meet his needs in the most perfect way.
Feeling guilty is just one of those things that comes along with motherhood. We think that we have to spend every single waking moment with our child in order to be a perfect mother. When in actuality, we NEED to take time to ourself, and keep our own interests that aren't baby related to stay charged and refueled for what life brings us in the world of diapers and teething rings!! So, just know that everything you are feeling is completely normal. I know sometimes that's all you want to know is that " it's okay, and it's normal" .... I can also tell you this.. IT GETS EASIER!! While toddlerhood brings on a WHOLE new set of things you have to deal with, it's so much more fun. I can't get used to having a messy house it drives me banana's.. But I will drive myself crazy just trying to keep it clean, so I take the relaxing banana's instead! I just keep telling myself.. in 5 years she will be able to help me clean up well behind herself, in 25 years, I will pray for those messy toddler days. Enjoy every minute of it mama, and stop feeling guilty. Enjoy your beautiful baby!
Tell Gail if she needs any help while you're out of town, I can help!!!
I think you are an awesome mom and in opinion every mom is a super mom. Just by functioning being sleep deprived alone is harder than anything. Liam is a sweet, lovable little boy because of you!!! Now go have fun on your trip with your hubby and don't worry about anything but you for a few days.
ReplyDeleteP.S. It does get easier, but crazier as they become toddlers.